Deputy Director, UNDP Europe and the CIS
I'm Rastislav Vrbensky and I'm the Deputy Director of UNDP in Europe and the CIS.
After working for the Government of Slovakia and an international NGO, I joined UNDP in 2000 where I have worked in different managerial positions in various duty stations across the region.
I was most recently the Manager of the Istanbul Regional Hub (since November 2014).
In 2014, I completed my assignment as UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Montenegro, where together with my team, I was successful in reaching new levels of partnerships with the Government ensuring a leading development role for the UN system in the country.
Prior to that, in 2008-2011 I served as Country Director in Tajikistan and in 2004-2007 as Deputy Resident Representative in Serbia. Between 2000-2004 I held a number of positions in UNDP’s Regional Centre in Bratislava as Assistant Director, Practice Leader a.i. for Democratic Governance Practice and Sustainable Development Policy Advisor.
I hold a PhD. in Development Studies and a Master of Environmental Science from Comenius University, Bratislava, as well as a Master of Environmental Management from the University of Amsterdam. In 2007, I was a visiting fellow at the Centre for the Study of Global Governance at the London School of Economics.
- Vrbensky, R. (2009) ‘Can development prevent conflict? Integrated area-based development in the Western Balkans, Conflict, Security & Development, Volume 9, No. 1, April 2009, King’s College London, Routledge.
- Vrbensky, R. (2008) ‘Can development prevent conflict? Integrated area-based development in Western Balkans: theory, practice and policy recommendations’, Working Paper WP 02/2008, Centre for the Study of Global Governance, LSE.
- Pagliani, P. and R. Vrbensky (2006) ‘EU Accession and Human Development in Serbia’, Development & Transition, No. 4, UNDP and LSE.
- Verheijen, T. and R. Vrbensky (co-editors) (2002) How to Make Local Development Work: Selected Practices from Europe and the CIS, UNDP Policy Paper.
- Cherp, A. and R. Vrbensky (2002) ‘Sustainability and Transition: Synergies, Opportunities, Threats‘, UNDP Policy Development Journal, No.1.