Technical Advisor, Biodiversity and Ecosystems
Based in: Istanbul Regional Hub
Languages: Russian, Belarussian, English, German, Slovak
I work with national partners to develop and implement projects that help preserve and sustainably manage natural resources for biodiversity, land, climate and local community benefits.
My main areas of expertise:
- 1. Protected area systems
- 2. Protection programmes for rare and endangered species
- 3. Reconciliation of economic and environmental concerns in land-use planning and economic sectors (agriculture, forestry, mining)
- 4. Restoration and conservation of terrestrial carbon pools, such as forests and wetlands
- 5. Economic instruments to engage communities in conservation and sustainable management of ecosystems
Together with my team, government partners, research institutions, and non governmental organizations (NGOs), I help to design projects that change policies towards greener economies and a more resilient natural resource base, and develop and implement on-site investment in areas that are critical for the survival of biodiversity and local communities.
Some recent achievements
2012 Helped the Government and research community in Belarus to design a peatland restoration programme in agriculture and forestry and mobilized resources
2012 Raised funds for the redesign of protected area systems of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
2011 Contributed to the design, fund-raising and implementation of a large-scale programme on integrating ecosystem conservation in coal and gas mining sectors in Russia
From our blog
Renewable Energy Challenge
Follow the story of UNDP's first challenge prize - issued to find a renewable energy solution that can provide off-grid power to cover the needs of returnee families in Bosnia and Herzegovina.