Based in: Regional Service Centre for Europe and CIS
Languages: Bulgarian, English, French, German, Russian
I'm Boyan Konstantinov and I'm a legal specialist, working in the field of HIV, health and development
My main areas of expertise
- 1. Rights of people living with HIV and key populations at risk of HIV
- 2. Intellectual property and access to medicines
- 3. Law and public health
My work focuses on legal capacity development, policy advice and technical assistance to government and non-government stakeholders in the field of HIV prevention, treatment, care and support, intellectual property and access to life-saving essential medicines, and issues related to health and human rights.
2012 - 2014
- Facilitated the creation of a Regional HIV Legal Network that provides quality legal assistance to people with HIV and key populations at risk in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
- Provided policy advice and technical assistance to two governments in Eastern Europe and Central Asia to increase access to quality essential medicines in the context of their accession to multilateral and bilateral trade agreements.
- Co-authored a regional report on national and regional regulatory frameworks for medicines that supports sustainable financing of national HIV responses in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- Co-authored a book chapter in the field of increasing access to essential medicines and intellectual property.
- Supported the follow up work on the recommendations of the Global Commission on HIV and the Law.
- Supported development and implementation of interventions using the public health flexibilities of the World Trade Organization TRIPS Agreement to increase access to HIV treatment - in Africa, the Commonwealth of Independent States and Latin America.
- Contributed to the work of the Global Commission on HIV and the Law and their final report; supported the NGOs on matters related to intellectual property rights and access to treatment.
I have been working with the UNDP's HIV, health and development team since 2009, in New York, Bratislava, and Istanbul. Prior to joining UNDP, I worked for regional and international NGOs in the field of human rights, law, and development.
For more details, please visit my profile on LinkedIn, or you are welcome to contact me directly: